Home » Australian Legal Assistance Forum (ALAF)
Australian Legal Assistance Forum (ALAF)
What is ALAF?
The Australian Legal Assistance Forum (ALAF) is a body comprised of the major legal aid client service deliverers in Australia. These organisations are:
- National Legal Aid representing the Directors of all legal aid commissions in Australia and through them those commissions.
- The Law Council of Australia representing Australian lawyers and their state and territory representative bodies.
- Representatives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services.
- The National Association of Community Legal Centres representing community legal centres throughout Australia.
- The National Family Violence Prevention Legal Services Forum representing the Family Violence Prevention Legal Services across Australia.
The Australian Legal Assistance Forum has been established to enable these organisations to consider and address Australian legal assistance issues in a co-operative way and to make recommendations on those issues in a co-ordinated fashion.
Objectives of Australian Legal Assistance Forum (ALAF)
- To promote co-operation between service providers in the interests of clients to ensure that the legal needs of those clients are met with the best and most effective service available to address these individual needs.
- To regularly disseminate information and promote communication amongst the service providers on issues of mutual concern to enhance the ability of those providers to address client needs.
- To inform governments and other organisations on the needs of those clients and on issues relevant to the practical delivery of legal assistance and representation services.
- To assist governments and other organisations in the development of policies to enhance access to justice for all Australians.
Australian Legal Assistance Forum
Secretariat: Louise Smith
GPO Box 1422 Hobart TAS 7001
Phone: 03 6236 3814
Mobile: 0419 350 065
Contacts for ALAF members
National Legal Aid
Law Council of Australia
National Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders Legal Services
National Association of Community Legal Centres
National Family Violence Prevention Legal Services Forum